fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

5 posters

More gun talk

willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

More gun talk Empty More gun talk

Post by willowbilly3 Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:23 am

I'm getting my 6.5 Swede snazzed up. I lucked out and found a $100 plastic stock for $15. Then spent $150 on a 3.5x10 Vortec scope. I also ordered a new trigger and it came in yesterday. Kind of a cheap knockoff of a Timney, called a Bold. Now all I need is a good sling.
    I already have a 7mm Mauser set up about the same except for the scope and I have another real nice 7 I am going after next. It already has been gunsmithed, smooth as butter, has a custom trigger but needs a scope and a better stock. I'm thinking I'll do a thumbhole laminate on it. Also been kinda thinking about a 257 Roberts barrel for it if I can find one for a decent price.
    Downside is they are all small ring so the bolts cock on close. I'm thinking this last one I might see about converting to cock on open, see what it costs anyway.
    Next up I hope to find a good 223. Was eyeing a used Tikka for $549. Dam sweet gun but just couldn/t see banging that purdy hunk of wood around shooting prarie dogs. Hogue overmold is the best stock for that.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

More gun talk Empty Re: More gun talk

Post by Admin Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:03 am

sounds like you are getting good at the custom gun gig--223 are fun to shoot--loud but fun--wish i still had my ruger mini ss with folding stock and nanner clips--that's a real old and convoluted story--best left untold cheers
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:34 am

Ya'll stop all this gun talk wishing shit
    Having a fit for my old Mac 90/ AK 47 back
    One of my neighbors wants my Yildi and has offered $450
    That,s about what I have in it with the Packmyer decelerater pad on it
    Thats half of my old AK price so half to go lol
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:17 am

I was doing a search on Mossbergs and they have a sweet little 410 for home protection. Short barrel pump with a sort of deflector choke. Spreads out fast so it's only good for a kill at 30-40 feet then spreads fast, won't go through walls and kill neighbors. Not that I need that sort of thing but still cool.
    AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:18 pm

willowbilly3 wrote: I was doing a search on Mossbergs and they have a sweet little 410 for home protection. Short barrel pump with a sort of deflector choke. Spreads out fast so it's only good for a kill at 30-40 feet then spreads fast, won't go through walls and kill neighbors. Not that I need that sort of thing but still cool.

I have one of those on my want list. Maybe this year who knows. Kiddo graduates in June which means child support ends, well, except for the cell phone bills. I get a break for the summer until she starts college in the fall. Yoi.
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:32 pm

AlleyCat wrote:
    willowbilly3 wrote: I was doing a search on Mossbergs and they have a sweet little 410 for home protection. Short barrel pump with a sort of deflector choke. Spreads out fast so it's only good for a kill at 30-40 feet then spreads fast, won't go through walls and kill neighbors. Not that I need that sort of thing but still cool.

I have one of those on my want list. Maybe this year who knows. Kiddo graduates in June which means child support ends, well, except for the cell phone bills. I get a break for the summer until she starts college in the fall. Yoi.

Looks like around $350 retail. Here's one with no bids, might be a decent deal, but add in another $60-$70 for shipping and FFL.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=272230942
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:15 pm

that's a cute lil thing---still wish i had one of the original snake charmers---i think they started out at 39.95--a c-store in sachse had them back then(86 ish)---coulda shoulda woulda
    AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:00 pm

Admin wrote:that's a cute lil thing---still wish i had one of the original snake charmers---i think they started out at 39.95--a c-store in sachse had them back then(86 ish)---coulda shoulda woulda

Ditto on the coulda shoulda woulda.

Got me another real screwy idea. I got no crystal ball so who knows if it'll ever come to be but here goes. My kid is headin off to college this fall. When she graduates of course old Dad is gonna buy her a real nice present. Then Dad is gonna but hisself a nice present too. I want one of those repop semi auto Thompsons. Not a dummy but the real deal. Pistol grip, round magazine and all. The one I want is a tad over 2 grand now and I suspect they'll be a bunch more by then but fook it. Everyone has crazy dreams and that's one of mine. Laughing
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:38 am

a roomie in vail came up with a straight clip mark IV--45 cal--that thing was awesome Very Happy
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:38 am

The "swede" is the Steyr, JB? Have you been shooting it?
    I spent a little time on the net last night and did a s/n search on the old L.C. Smith double barrel 12... seems it was built in 1905. Seems pretty tight and nice shape... but I'm still gonna get it checked out by someone "in the know" before I pull the triggers. It's got some "character" that I'd like to have checked.... such as 2 brass straps across the pistol grip that I'm sure are bracing a crack... that'd suck to have it snap there on a guy!!
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:52 pm

No, the Swede is a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. I took it out to the range this morning and got it dialed in, still need to float the barrel and get a sling and she's ready to go. I do want a Steyr straight pull tho, real high on my acquisition list.
    I had one, got 100 rounds of ammo for it in the clips but it turned out to have not been re-arsenaled like 99% of them were so it was still a 8x50R, not the 8x56R they sold it as, so I took it back to the gunshop and got my money back.

The Swede straight pull was a Schmidt-Ruben and I want one of those too, real nice piece of iron.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmidt-Rubin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:53 pm

yep John--i'd be skittish of those straps 2
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:26 pm

Some one makes 12ga. blackpowder replica shells for cowboy action shooting.
    I had 30-30 win. and a ruger 45 lc i was going to shoot in it
    I couldnt find a 45-70 lever action back then
    I never found the shotgun shells but the other guys told me they existed
    or you could load up some modern shells with 10grns of black powder.
    Straps or not that won't do any harm
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:16 pm

I found this link today on Smokstak. One helluva bunch of gun manuals here!! Along with a few other things...... check it out!

http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am