fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

barn metal removal???????

Admin
    Admin

barn metal removal???????

Post by Admin on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:31 pm

follow along if ya can

i have a building to tear down for my neighbor--it is an old wood frame pole barn style--8 ft eaves--old fashioned and gauge corrugated metal--galv---they nailed the bejesus outta it---i intend to use the sheets for the house roof---painted and coated of course

so the million dollar question

i am considering making a spreader bar of pipe the correct length to span 3 or 4 sheets--run a chain thru the pipe--knock access openings an the prescribed point--hook the chain to a yoke and attempt to pop loose a row at a time--so it will take 3 pulls per section and i am sure to have some wrinkles to straighten out

john force says he has a brain trust--well i'll put this pf'er brain trust up against his any old day for real world stuff

ok--enuff butt lickin'--lol---now hit me with some answers

hardtailjohn

Re: barn metal removal???????

Post by hardtailjohn on Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:08 pm

Ummmmmmmm..........I think you'd be way better off to just yank nails and let it off easy...you're gonna bend the shit outta everything from what I can see...
    spartman
    Admin

Post by spartman on Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:45 pm

Id just get a grinder out there and go at em.

Otherwise youll probably bent the shit out of everything like JOhn said.

Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:24 pm

John---i know---

Spart--grinder was a thought

looks like time for a nail pullin' party--lol

willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:19 pm

I roofed a shop I built in Alaska with re-used corrugated steel. I never did get all the holes plugged so it wouldn't leak.
    71ford100

Post by 71ford100 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:15 pm

We rarly try and reuse corrugated tin, the steel painted stuff we have reused without a problem thus far.....maybe the tin will be okay if you use something to seal each hole?
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:19 am

i have a secret weapon---vinegar--prep the old metal with a vinegar & water solution--then apply the pookey to seal the holes--all this metal will be fastened to furring strips attached to the existing roof after it has been painted and coated with either elastomeric or silver seal--i have confidence in the process as it has worked for me before on several different occasions

sometimes saving money is more work, but when the material is there for the taking and the cash on hand is slim--well--u get the drift Very Happy

willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:02 am

You gonna fir right over old shingles?
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:28 pm

JB--yes--there are only 2 layers--the original wood shingles and 1 layer of 3 tabs asphalt shingles--i will seal the ends with flashing--the air gap between the roofs works to the advantage both ways--like layering clothing

CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:01 pm

I vinegared the used chicken house corrugated metal I put on the metal pole barn I built.
    I used a 30 year outdoor silicon on every hole and then coated the whole roof with the elastic white cool seal. Only 10-12 years but it still looks good and does not leak. Lots of time involved but
    I have more time than money anyhow. The inside looks like a bunch of nipples hanging down but I happen to like nipples so worries here.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:56 am