fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

5 posters

seafoam instead of stabil

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

seafoam instead of stabil Empty seafoam instead of stabil

Post by Admin Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:25 am

Sunday i had a telephone conversation with a small engine guy--he has some riding mowers and i wanted to check a price--real slick john deere--price was fair but, i was just window shopping--ended up talking about small engines and their up keep and maintenance

couple of items i hadn't heard of or didn't know--wondering if anyone else has heard this

the gas stabilizer won't work with gas that has any ethanol in it--he said use seafoam and be sure to use a gas line shut off valve on anything with a carb---or run it out and drain it

another is that any of these lawn mower/tractors etc now have plastic cams in them and about 300 to 350 hrs is all u will get

i had already put shutoffs on the riders and tiller, along with inline filters, and per mr CJ have been boosting the octane to premium level(since ethyl is a thing of the past, at least at our local c store)

i am in the process of plumbing in line stops on all of our carbed vehicles--if they don't get started and run every week, it just turns into a major issue--stale gas--even with stabil added --then fouled plugs and on and on

anyway--that's all i had
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

seafoam instead of stabil Empty Re: seafoam instead of stabil

Post by spartman Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:16 am

So a feller pays 1000 bux for a new rider and the damned thing has a plastic camshaft in it?

No wonder the neighbours are always getting new mowers......
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:51 pm

The Starbrite StarTron elininates the ethenol effects and keeps the fuel good for two years. It also cleans up gum and varnish. I used to use marine stabil but that crap just gums up a carb fast
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:14 pm

thanks Mr C

here's a link

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

gonna have to find a local dealer
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 am

I use the Seafoam too.Another trick for seldom used engines is av-gas. It keeps a lot better. I see a big difference in engines that are stored inside, out of the sunlight, even if it's an open shed.
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:21 am

I agree with you on storing any engine inside. For instance when I had my JD 2010. It was under my pole barn and my cousins tractors sat outside. I never had a problem starting or with batteries, belts, hoses and he seems to always have a problem. Marine Stabil is crap. It gums up a outboard so bad in 2 years the carb must be rebuilt. SeaFoam is good stuff but at $5 to treat 25 gallons, Starbrite at $5.99 will treat 48 gallons of gas so I say its twice as good. StarBrite also has a diesel treatment that I have started using. One bottle will treat 120 gallons for $12. I did the math on my truck as follows. 2mpg avg. increase city/hwy X 120 gallons = 240 miles increase. 240 div. by 23mpg = 10.43 gal.
    10.43 gal. X $3.86 gal. = $40.26 - $12 (StarTron cost)= $28.26 div. by 3 tanks = $9.42 savings per tank and it runs like a striped ass ape. I just started my third bottle and assume this will be as good as it gets. But thats ok with me.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:54 pm

tractor supply has the star tron---6 bux does 48 gals--i could hear the difference on the lawnmowers within minutes
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:34 pm

Glad to hear it. I picked up my 4 wheeler yesterday from the farm. It was stored inside since Jan. or Feb. of last year and not started all year. I added 2 gallons of plus gas and 5 caps of star tron. It started better than in years past. This morning It started in 2-3 revolutions. Usually it takes 5-10 after sitting all year.
    AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:59 pm

I got to check into the Star Tron. I'm about due to park my 72 until spring and I had been using Sta-bil.

Anybody know if the Star Tron will work with 2 strokes?

WB, I've never tried to buy av gas. Do you need to be a pilot or some such thing to buy it?
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:15 pm

Star Tron works Great in 2 strokes. It keeps the gas lines from being eaten by ethanol and starts great later on
    AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:28 am

Cool thanks Very Happy My old Stihl chainsaw rarely gets used anymore but it does come in handy often enough that I want it to start when I need it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm