fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

More hauling

willowbilly3

More hauling

Post by willowbilly3 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:16 pm

I got in a pretty good honey hole, been getting about 4 tons a day, $170 a ton and $80 in fuel. But Wed., was the day of attrition. first I break the bolts holding the grapple bar on the borrowed JD tractor. Then the trailer spare falls over and breaks the hose off in the acetylene regulator. Then a bunch of cows around the gate and I'm trying to hurry through and drive over the gate stick and break it. Then coming through Rapid with a load on and the rubber on my right front lets go and tears the shit out of my fender. Luckily it was only about a mile to limp off the interstate and into a tire shop. Good news was iron had went up $25. Rest of the week went fine.
    Admin
    Admin

Re: More hauling

Post by Admin on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:53 pm

good news mon--transportation is a crap shoot when it comes to having"one of those days"--as is anything involving machinery--u gotta quit running them "maypops"

hope the luck stays good 4 ya--give that rig a good blessing every morning cheers

71ford100

Post by 71ford100 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:28 pm

It is amazing how those days go. I finally found a wheel that matches the ones on my trailer so I have a correct spare. I have been cleaning out our old dump/burn pit and have a trailer load of junk to go they are paying 206 a ton in Greeley I also have some brass but they said they are only paying a 1.68 a lb. The bad part is the trailer really could use 5 new tires so I'll have to start watching for some good used ones.
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:41 pm

I had new tires on the back last fall and the fronts were some I had that I thought looked good, Cooper E rated with about 75% tread. I had the tire guy look at my trailer tires (which look good to me) He saw right away that the date code makes them over 10 years old and they have little cracks between the treads. Great, another $800. I'll kep my fingers crossed on those for now.
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:38 pm

some years back they cheapened the rubber compound--there was a product called crystex--i went thru a plant up by Clay's that produced it--monongahela(the town)--it extended the life of the compound--so it didn't crack and chap--that was in the early 90's--i talked to a uniroyal qc guy who told me they no longer use it--if a tire is 4 yrs old, no matter how many miles, i don't want any high speed runs for very far--cool them for 5 minutes for every hr of hiway speed and double the safety factor and the useful life of the tire--that's according to the michelin/uniroyal in house failure test dept.--skinny and tall are about the safest-- more mass versus contact area will run cooler--i lost a cap on the 1 ton back after katrina--running about 75 up by springfield, mo in the middle of the night--talk about a nervous moment--that sucker started a slow yaw and then snapped sideways, bounced and set back down in the correct lane--took about 20 mi to find a get off--the trucks were running 80 or better--so i was running 55 on the carcass in the breakdown lane--hit some kinda something stacked in the road--punched a hole in the floorboard--had a string of trucks beside me and no where to go--ceptin the ditch--i think it was a jackstand--sure as hell made a racket--i was waiting for the front blowout, but it never happened--still got that tire on there today--sidewalls are all chapped and cracked--i will only put about 35 to 40 in them these days--supposed to run 65 or 70--they'll never see pavement again

oh well--be safe

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:01 am