fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

3 posters

2 days of good weather

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

2 days of good weather Empty 2 days of good weather

Post by Admin Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:05 pm

got the carb on Julie's dd changed out--car is running good

took off the pos electronic qaudrajunk and put on a 1406 edelbrock w/elec choke

had to get a tv cable corrector and edelbrock bracket

deleted the air pump

cleaned up some burn't wires

still got some to do but it's roadworthy

had to leave the cruise control un hooked for the time being--she don't like to use them anyway

felt good to be outside doing something

old fukkers rule 2 days of good weather Icon_twisted
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

2 days of good weather Empty Re: 2 days of good weather

Post by spartman Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:57 pm

What kinda car is the dd?

Them qjunks were good new, but once they get some wear in em they are junk.

Oh did you change the distributor as well, cause I think that pos computer ran the advance on that too.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:06 pm

this thing has a factory mechanical advance dizzy--got some kinda control module similar to a msd 6al spark controller--i still have some learning to do about it--was gonna change it over to a standart vacuum advance and the parts guy said it wouldn't change anything--probably have to go to a mallory unilte--i have one on the nova--gonna give it a try in the near future
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:20 am

I'd get rid of that ESC stuff too. All you need is a regular module for the distributor and a slight wiring mod, plus close up the gap where the extra wires exit the dist with some sillycone. The computerized carb stuff was junk but I never had any problem qith the old Q-jets, almost all of the problems I ever seen with them was the external choke controls, pretty simple carb to work on if you lnow the tricks to dissassemble. Always put in a new float when you kit one too.
    Anyways, old pigpoker, good on youse for getting out. I pretty much pissed away the couple good days we had.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:05 am

you may have to give a serious step by step on that program JB--i really would like to simplify that dizz biz--thanks--this is the 1st of the type for me
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:38 am

The ignition module has 4 pins on one side, instead of the 2 pin like the old ones. It's been a long time, I would have to see one or see pictures. I know those early 80s 1/2 ton and Blazer had that ESC system and would get to running crappy. It was an easy fix to switch them back on the dist. That was right before the feedback carbs came along but I think the early computer systems used the same dist so the mods should be the same. Only thing is those ignition modules have gotten expensive. I think I paid like $40 something for the chevy module I put in my Ferd
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:45 am

ok--so if i put a stock gm vacuum advance dist. in--then i would need to change the wire plug in to a 2 wire instead of the 4 wire connector currently on the car--and of course --hook up the vaccum

sound correct???
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:55 pm

Nope, just plug in the hot wire and go, forget about the 4 prong ESC plug because it isn't doing anything now, tape it out of the way.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:34 am