fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

3 posters

high country flashback

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

high country flashback Empty high country flashback

Post by Admin Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:48 pm

the weather today reminded me of mountain living--cold, raw, fresh and invigorating --- had a light skim of frozen drizzle followed by thunder sleet and intermitant(sp) snow flurries(really thick tiny flakes swirling about)--18 F--15 F now

played a little fetch with the Alice, she just made 2 yrs--part catahoula and part husky--she's a bit opinionated

anyway it felt like being at 9000 ft today--living in vail way back when was a treat

good day on the rock

cheers 
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

high country flashback Empty Re: high country flashback

Post by willowbilly3 Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:24 pm

Not like those "other" flashbacks  Twisted Evil  I got out and spent a couple hours on the tractor yesterday. It was 15 below but still, crisp and sunny. I had to come warm up my fingers once but enjoyed every second of that sunshine.
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:26 am

Woke up to 9 above here today....by noon it was in the 40's and raining. That foot+ of new snow sure got heavy quick! I spent all day on the cat, plowing that crap off the side, trying to get it far enough away so that the roads will dry instead of turn to foot deep mud! Got in the corrals and did a little snow relocating for the horses too, and hopefully that will help with the water problem when it melts.
    A few years ago, I owned part of a company that manufactured paint used on aircraft. It pretty much got drug under by shitty management of the principals and eventually was taken over by another bunch of good people. They've funneled lots of money and time into the products and got some of the formulas tweeked a bit to where they're more user friendly. I've been in contact with them over the years and have always recommended the stuff to others. I decided I'd try some of their new waterborne acrylic on the sleigh I've been rebuilding, and ordered some. It sat for a couple weeks, while I've been busy with other parts of the project, but finally the other day I had time to squirt some. To make a long story short, I didn't have the time I thought, and ran short, then had to run and feed. So there sat the running gear, partially painted and I wasn't that impressed with what I saw. So I went back through the instructions again and Sunday I had time after lunch to try again. I got everything scuffed and ready and mixed the paint. I'd just gone through the second viscosity check and was reaching to poor it in the gun when Kate bangs on the door and tells me all the cows are out and headed to a bog just past our house. So, I set the paint down on the shelf, grabbed my boots and coat and headed out to get the tractor to lure them back in. About an hour later we had them back and came up one short.....so out we go to the bog...sure enough there's one in the bog so had to drag her out and get her up. Finally, about 2 hours later, I got back to the booth... the paint was still in the cup, and the viscosity was good, so I figured what the hell... I slobbered it on and I'm impressed this time. You can really hose this stuff on and it flows out like glass! I guess I've found my new fun paint!!!
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:21 am

Are you painting the wood too? Does that paint breath? I know you know what you are doing but I have to retell this. Well, the Amish never do anything wrong, eh? Everyone respects them as fine craftsmen. We have an Amish built wagon. I don't know what you call them John but it has steps up from the back and a long seat down each side. Metal framed, pretty modern but nice for doing weddings and hauling ignorant folk in general because nobody is climbing in around the wheels. Those wheels had about 3-4 heavy coats of red enamel; I could see it blistering in a few spots and the spokes were starting to dryrot. My dumass brother inlaw decides they will take it on the Miles City to Deadwood wagon train 3-4 years ago. I told him not to, not only was it not an offroad wagon because there was no set in the wheels but the wheels were in bad shape from that paint not breathing. I should add the wagon is 15-20 years old. Well he takes it anyway and about the fist he gets off the flat ground, he turns crossing a little draw and 3 of those wheels just collapse. $2700 and about a year later, it has new wheels from Hansen's. I've also replace all the floorboards in it and redid the master cylinder mount. It's still a nice street wagon but I'm not too impressed with some of the quality of workmanship and materials. Reminds me, I have to get some wheel oilers built. Oh, and sis also got a sweet modern (white) 2 seat buggy with rubber and hydraulic brakes and loves it, pulls single around town real nice. It also has the wheels painted shut with that dam enamel.
    Now she wants a springboard which is exactly what she needs to do those long wagon trains. I know where there's a melted down 2 seater double sprung running gear, might try and salvage it and build one.
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:16 pm

Yah JB...I always say the Amish are good pattern makers. hahha Some are fine craftsmen, but most are pretty much hacks. Not really different than most things.
    The main problem you were having there was that they had bad wood to start with in those wheels. It wasn't good and dry, and I bet it had just a hint of a problem starting before they used it....and I'd bet that they used some of their famous turpentine and linseed oil under that paint. I've followed a few of those problems before. Turpentine and BLO 50/50 is a great preservative, but it sure hates to have anything over the top of it. Even with an oil based paint, you'll see blisters for years, and the paint wont ever really settle down. I've painted the wood forever on our stuff...but the moisture content is always below 6% and I do use a good primer/sealer. I've gone to epoxy coating the runners and knees, and then sanding it smooth before I prime/paint.....seems to be holding up great.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:19 pm

JH--i remember a page for that company--sounds like a good product-the water based stuff has made some major strides--a few years back a company in Garland, TX that made landscape borders--we had rigged a bunch of their machines--had a big spill--just hosed that stuff down the gutters--no harm, no foul

just saw a thing on a guy that makes wood spoked wheels for antique automobiles--correct wood and curing is a major factor--amish is just another sect among a bunch screwed up crowd control sects--good craftsman don't need a religion to do good work

link that paint if ya don't mind
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:20 am

Here ya go JD... http://www.stewartsystems.aero/category/53/topcoats I used the Ekocrylic this time. It sets up a bit harder and less flexible than the poly.

One of my utmost finest minutes in life was when I taught a painting class at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH. Those guys at Wright Patterson have it rough! If you blow your nose, they want to know how much and what color!! Anyway..... we'd gotten done shooting in the paint booth in the restoration hangar (our waterborne paint) and I took my gun over to a sink and was washing it out, with that paint headed down the drain. Some poor little safety geek saw me pour that paint into the sink and he had an absolute conniption fit! He was hollering at me to stop what I was doing and a bunch of other stuff I didn't understand. When he got to me, I pulled out the MSDS sheet from my pocket and showed him it was all non-hazmat.... bursting his bubble and ruining I'm sure, his whole day! high country flashback 301330  I used a paper towel and some acetone to swab out the cup on my gun and they had to account for the acetone, paper towel (had to go into the proper receptical!!) and even the glove that I forgot to wear when handling the acetone!..... too much BS for me!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 am