fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

+2
hardtailjohn
willowbilly3
6 posters

Livin the dream

willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Livin the dream Empty Livin the dream

Post by willowbilly3 Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:04 am

It's been a good run, had a great summer and fall, got some jingle, had some fun. Bought some guns, put some money into the ratrod. And I have enough stuff to keep me busy on ebay a good part of the winter. More iron I can haul if the prices come up. Sarah's ticket for Xmas paid for and a ticket for me to celebrate my b-day in Vegas on Saint Patty's with my cousins. Got a pile of #1 and #2 copper that will be my crazy money in Vegas. Ran into my old boss yesterday and he wants me to come back to the plant, work whatever I want but probably 2-3 days a week, 5 if I want. I would be building guards, not bad duty, mostly in the fab shop. Might not be a bad place to winter up. Still thinkin serious about trading granny's Merc towards an old 12 valve. Nice car but it makes my ass hurt to spend more than an hour in it.
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Livin the dream Empty Re: Livin the dream

Post by hardtailjohn Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:05 am

JB, what's the difference in #1 and #2 copper? I have a bunch of wire with the old tar/fabric covering here....like LOTS from the barn (we pulled it all from there, as the packrats had chewed on it and I didn't wanna chance it).
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:16 am

that's good news cheers
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:27 am

hardtailjohn wrote:JB, what's the difference in #1 and #2 copper? I have a bunch of wire with the old tar/fabric covering here....like LOTS from the barn (we pulled it all from there, as the packrats had chewed on it and I didn't wanna chance it).
    Well, here #1 is anything about pencil lead or larger. The braided stuff like drop cords ect will be number 2. You would have to burn it off or strip it to get those prices and generally number 2 is only about 10% less than #1 if it's stripped. I can still sell burned off wire here but in a lot of states they won't take it. Figure insulated wire at about 60% of the stripped kind. Old copper tubing is #1 if there is no soldered connections or fittings. Radiators ect go for sheet copper price which is about 1/3 of #1 price, and you have to get all the iron off of them to get the best price.
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:33 pm

Thanks JB... I have a couple rad cores from the KW...guess it might be time for them to go. I'll have to call about the wire...if they'd take it burned, that'd be cool... otherwise stripping that insulation is gonna be a real pain! Somehow, I never have taken any scrap in..... just let it accumulate! haha
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:00 pm

Ran into the guy I was working for at the plant. He wants me to come back to work, whatever schedule I want. 5 days a week or even 2-3, which is about right. I figger it won't be bad getting 2-3 days a week this winter, mostly all fab shop work building guards. No shut down days though, opted out of that because I always have to make a dozen trips up 88 stairs packing tools and parts. My lame old knee just won't take that shit no more. It isn't huge money but $150 a day through the winter ain't bad for this area.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:19 pm

sounds like a winner--stairs and ladders are for the younger set--of course, not many of the younger set are up for that--unless it's on an x box or some such Livin the dream 301330
    AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:58 am

hardtailjohn wrote:Thanks JB... I have a couple rad cores from the KW...guess it might be time for them to go. I'll have to call about the wire...if they'd take it burned, that'd be cool... otherwise stripping that insulation is gonna be a real pain! Somehow, I never have taken any scrap in..... just let it accumulate! haha

John a lot of places will buy it with the insulation on. It don't hurt to get prices and compare. Sometimes you might be better off to sell it as is than spend a bunch of time stripping the insulation. Hold off for right now if you can since scrap is in a down swing.
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:20 am

AlleyCat wrote: Hold off for right now if you can since scrap is in a down swing.

Buy high, sell low......that's my moto! lol! I would like to get the crap out from the front of the shop before we get too much snow on the ground... but we'll see if it happens.
    I'll do some calling before I go too far, thanks guys!
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:58 pm

Last year I bought a bunch of insulated and burned it off. Burned off it was $3, insulated price was just a little over half that.
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:32 pm

I heard you can't sell burned here. Can't sell a/c coils with out a contractors license. I took a small one in and showed em my license so that was good. I had at least 10 people wanting me to sell coils for them on the halves. I declined. Didn't know the legalities of that and I ain't going to the pokey for no one. getting ready to chop up this sail boat mast. Any one know the legal acceptable length they will take for aluminum?
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:15 pm

as much as stuff varies, i would call the yard i intended to sell it to and get their guidelines--should sell as extruded, but i have no idea which classification
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:45 pm

Well.. 18" of snow on the ground overnight...and today it was -18 when I got up to build a fire, so you can bet that's pretty much shut down the salvage operations here for the winter. Supposed to get another 3-18" tomorrow night.... just hope it gives me enough time tomorrow to get one more automatic waterer in for the second horse pen...(this hose dragging is a PIA!) and get the KW started and the crusher off of it's back for the winter...I'll be happy with that for now.

willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:19 am

CJ,s 67 F100 wrote:I heard you can't sell burned here. Can't sell a/c coils with out a contractors license. I took a small one in and showed em my license so that was good. I had at least 10 people wanting me to sell coils for them on the halves. I declined. Didn't know the legalities of that and I ain't going to the pokey for no one. getting ready to chop up this sail boat mast. Any one know the legal acceptable length they will take for aluminum?

A lot of places won't accept burned off wire. I don't know if it's state regs or what. I suppose at some point we won't be able too either. I heard if you take in aluminum ingots you will get paid a visit, one man smelting operations are a thing of the past.
    AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:39 am

You can still sell burned here but I'm sure that's gonna come to an end. You have to have a drivers license or state ID card to sell any non ferrous metals. Even if you are on a first name basis or work in the yard they have to record it. They also have to record the plate number on whatever you're driving.
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:33 am

I went out to get that sailboat mast down to chop up an hour ago. Its gone, there yesterday, I bet no one saw anything. Came in and cleaned my Kimber Ultra CDP. Didnt need cleaning I just wanted it in my hand. My salvage place said any length so I WAS going to cut it up in 4' sections. I had to wait an hour to post this so I don't go postal over this. I hope everyone's day started better than mine
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:04 pm

that really suks--dang thieves -- they are taking the wires out of live systems--go figure
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

Post by spartman Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:08 pm

Aint that just a kick in the balls?

Its just a shame that society is heading this way.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content