fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

4 posters

Scanners

hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Scanners Empty Scanners

Post by hardtailjohn Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:54 pm

Who knows about vehicle scanner tools? This raggety assed hummer h3 (2007) has locked itself into 4x4 low and refuses to come out. It WAS in 4 wheel assist HI, (where it's supposed to be for driving) but Kate decided that it warrented trying to get it to shift into "something other than where it was" and chose low...and sure as hell it went. Now I need a damned scanner to figure out what's screwed up, so I can fix it...whereas I could've just ran it to town and had someone else figure out what it needed....... Mad
    Soooooo.....what's a good scanner? Bad? What I need to watch for???? Suspect
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Scanners Empty Re: Scanners

Post by Admin Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:23 pm

John--when i quizzed the 2 really pro mechanics i know the 2 names that both agreed on were snapon and assenmacher(sp)---i located one that was like 89 bux with lifetime upgrades--to be used with your own laptop--i will search my bookmarks and see if i can find it--a 3rd & mopar tech thought it would do just fine-- the 2 other guys--both from europe--netherlands and austria--where the certs are rigid just said ya pretty much get what ya pay for(as we know)

back as soon as i find the page
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:14 pm

http://www.obdcom.com/

i am glad this came up because this and a power probe 2 are on my really really want list
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:14 pm

Sweet!!! Gonna check that out! Thanks, JD!
    crewcabfan
    crewcabfan

Post by crewcabfan Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:14 pm

Admin wrote:http://www.obdcom.com/

i am glad this came up because this and a power probe 2 are on my really really want list
    hey there tribe elders, just my two cents JD: those obdcom are just generic scanners, and by generic i mean that they just read a handful of parameters most of them engine related which wouldn't help John with his transfer case related problem. great choice on the power probe 2.
    Now about the hummer, the most common problem i know of, is the selector switch itself, fairly easy for me to diagnose here at the shop because i got the factory scan tool (tech2) but i'm not sure what aftermarket scanner would do a decent job of communicating with the automatic transfer case module, a snap-on for sure as long as is updated to cover that year. Now john if you want to give a call ill be up til around 9 pm cst or i get up at 5am tomorrow. ill be happy to assist you or any other member here in any way i can, but you need to call me because i cant type for crap. my digits are 773 726 3226
    Scanners Hummer11
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:34 pm

I will try to call tomorrow....if I get a couple minutes. The switches are fine. It blinks for the change, but never does change. Blinks for the full 15 seconds. I may try to "manual" it and see if it's bound in the case or motor......
    John
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:45 pm

thanks ccf---those are words of wisdom and appreciated---any info and or advice is always welcomed here
    crewcabfan
    crewcabfan

Post by crewcabfan Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:36 pm

hardtailjohn wrote:I will try to call tomorrow....if I get a couple minutes. The switches are fine. It blinks for the change, but never does change. Blinks for the full 15 seconds. I may try to "manual" it and see if it's bound in the case or motor......
    John
    No intent to insult your smarts but... you know the trans has to be in neutral and the brake depressed to shift out of 4low right? anyways call me tomorrow
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:21 am

I've had those electronic Dodges be hard to get out of 4x4. Especially when you get all the way to the pavement before you shift. Seems the drive train is a little bound up and the servo isn't strong enough to do the job. Might also try jacking up a wheel to unwind the drivetrain.
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:32 pm

[/quote]
    No intent to insult your smarts [/quote]

What smarts? :[url=http://ww
    Yah, it's worked for years...but now doesn't. I've got to move some cows and stuff, but will try to call today.
    Thanks!!
    JH
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:33 pm

cod-locked---blazer is really bad about it--203 t case iirc----1 good thing about the old binder dana's--if u aren't in the right slot, u will know b4 ya go 2 ft
    crewcabfan
    crewcabfan

Post by crewcabfan Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:47 pm

I was looking at service information today and noticed; that transfer case should be pretty easy to shift manually just by removing the encoder motor and twisting the shaft about 45 degrees. just make sure to unplug the 8 cavities connector as step #1 and do not plug it back until the motor is installed again to prevent damage to the encoder .
    and if yo still need a scanner i could let you borrow my snappy solus pro it was updated recently so i know is got the coverage needed.
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:58 pm

CCF,
    Sorry, I just got in the door and still have chores to do... loooooooongggggg day.
    The shaft only needs to turn about 45? That was going to be the question I had first. I'll try that in the morning. I downloaded a service manual on the Tcase and did a bunch of studying last night...
    If I can get it into regular high range, I'm good to go for a while...
    Like I told JD.... I still don't see anything wrong with a lever and linkage!!! haha
    Thanks!
    John
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:00 pm

a bud got an f350 right around 2000---the electronic shifter shit pulling a boat out of the water--that pretty much decided it 4 me--levers and gears are just fine by me--i know about all the advantages and progress--yadi yadi yah

oh-never mind--my body hurts and i'm a tad outta sorts---anyone got some good cheese to go with da whine Scanners 301330
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:44 pm

The sumbich is getting a ride to town today...I just don't have the time to mess with it... and of course, we need it. The dually has a rear brake grabbing (I'd guess a leaky rear axel seal) and I need it to haul some cows and horses soon, so the hummer's got to get fixed asap. Guess it'll go to the one dealer I sort of trust.
    CCF, I sure appreciate your offer of the scanner, and the research and help you've given... sorry my schedule's so messed up. Wish you were closer, as you'd be having it setting in your shop!!
    Onward, through the fog!!!!
    JH
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:44 pm

man--i hope things smooth out a bit 4 ya John

seems like anytime ya gotta count on a machine, it'll bite ya
    crewcabfan
    crewcabfan

Post by crewcabfan Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:23 am

Admin wrote:man--i hope things smooth out a bit 4 ya John

seems like anytime ya gotta count on a machine, it'll bite ya

of course they do they're out to take over the whole world; tinfoil helmet anyone Wink
    hey john, no problemo like i said anything i can help with , i'd be happy to. Smile
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:46 pm

i keep my foil hat at the ready Scanners 301330
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:48 pm

farmin', truckin', riggin'---whatever it is will fail at the most inopportune moment---just how she goes--first ur money--then ur clothes lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 5:10 pm