fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

3 posters

Always an angle........

hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Always an angle........ Empty Always an angle........

Post by hardtailjohn Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:02 pm

People amaze me. Mad    I've been working on this airplane project off and on for a couple years now, for a guy that's living in NH.  He's poured LOTS of money into parts, and wanted it done right from day one...so far so good. Our original deal was to trade my building the plane with him supplying the parts, for a Piper PA-12 that he has...I valued it in the $30-40,000 dollar range. I figured I'd come out ok on it...based on what the market does...there's a slim chance I'd take a bit of a bath on it as well, but I'm ok with the risk, as I'd just have to throw some labor into it and hang on to it for a few years and the market would come back up and I'd be ok again.
    The other day, he sends me an email and says he just got notice that the company he's working for is folding, so he'll be out of a job in Dec. He wants to put a hold on the project, and for me to send him a "bill".  I figured it all out and sent it to him, and he calls and says that's more hours than he figured I had in it, and that the documentation of the hours isn't all that great (I didn't "blog" it for cripesakes, and I didn't video tape it, but did keep track of hours/days and what was done that day), so he wants to knock 30% off the top!Mad   Ya know, I've got a heart, but I'd already discounted my current shop rate by $10 an hour, and there's LOTS of days I worked on it and he didn't get billed....... I hate it that people can't just pay up what they owe, or at least be honest about it and say "I don't have that much...what can we work out".... he'll be here Tuesday to start loading the project up and take it home.... It'll be nice to have the room in the shop I guess....but my feelings are hurt by the action and insinuation that I padded the bill.....scratch
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Always an angle........ Empty Re: Always an angle........

Post by Admin Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:32 pm

dang it -- the  corporate mentality trickle down factor rears it's ugly head ( and ass )-- i suppose he has already disposed of aforementioned aero plane -- i can speak with first hand knowledge here--take what you can get-- pronounce blessings on him and go on down the road--other than going thru the court and that'll cost you upfront--or the off chance of whoopin' some ass and not going to the hoosgow for it Always an angle........ 301330   

i feel ya on the insinuation bit--seems like people use the fudge factor as a weapon--mark it up 50 % so you can afford to take a beatin'--- i guess you can write it off on taxes(maybe--depending on your setup)--my write offs didn't get me much of anything(that's on me and my membership status)---then when ya really do give some a discount price, they seem to feel obliged to get a bigger discount--one way or another--and the cycle begins again

better times ahead-- say again--bless him--wash your hands and dig in again

maybe he will get his heart right before tuesday

ps--idk why this is the level the world has come to--well i do, but that's another chapter-- seems like somebody always needs to be making drama and i don't mean telling the story--i mean when you do an honest deal and then get the shaft because of it---seems like people that go around shafting people on purpose always come out the winners monetarily

maybe you ought to re-submit the final invoice to reflect the real time and materials, planning, shop storage fees, administration fees, etc., etc......

Last edited by Admin on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ps--clarification)
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:56 pm

Yah, I guess we were raised different..... I was always told to pay the damned bill...if it's more than you thought because it took longer, then that's the way it goes, but you don't try to get more of a discount at the end. I wont bid obs on airplanes, because if I can only get so much for the job, then I'm pressured to come in under what it might really cost, and I'll be tempted to cut corners...or else I shoot a bid so high that nobody in their right mind will go for it! Those that know me, don't have a problem, and I'm always on the phone to them and trying to show them what's wrong if it's going to be more costly than we figured from the start. I guess it boils down to the "do unto others" syndrome.....
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:32 pm

You hate to go to their level but I think I'd hold fast. Lawyer up and keep the plane until he pays full. But then if you don't have a pretty ironclad, signed work order, you'r screwed.
    I wouldn't load one thing until I had CASH in my fist.
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:07 am

It actually turned out ok. I got right back in his face, reminding him that I'd already given him a break (about 20%) and I wasn't sure just why he felt I needed to have my wages cut in half.... we went back and forth a little and he finally decided to pay the full amounct, and I had a cashier's check in 2 days...just before he showed up to pick up the plane. I think it was like JD said, mostly the "corporate" attitude showing through. By the time we got it all loaded, he'd looked over all I'd done and said that he hoped he could bring it back to have me finish it when he gets back on his feet. I'd sure like to finish it, as it's going to be a really cool plane, and I've put alot of "blood sweat and tears" into it already, metal forming custom mounts for all the antennas and such. I guess we'll just have to see...... at least I got paid, so now I can insulate the shop!
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:34 am

Good deal. What kind of plane was it? Seems like I remember you were working on an old Stinson???
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:36 pm

JH--i am really glad it worked out for you--people do strange things when they are scared, and losing your income, especially in these times, will create fear.

i have been around so many crooked business people it makes me sick

i still look for the good in people and believe there are better days really close

keep on keepin' on :great: 
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:52 am

Yah, I hear ya JD... I feel bad for the guy...but it's not like he's destitute or anything. They both work (she's a nurse) and he's sitting pretty well. I think it's like you said...the "corporate attitude" of "I'll try to get this cheaper". It's so engrained that they don't even think......
    JB, yep it was a Stinson 108-3. He went to a bigger engine, composite prop, and a host of other mods that will really make it a sweetheart! I really DO want to finish it!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:25 am

lol- i didn't figure him to be destitute, but i'll bet he/they are over leveraged and living on the edge--he will probably be selling that plane to keep up the payments on the other crap they borrowed on to live the high life

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:52 pm