fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

4 posters

buick wagon

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

buick wagon Empty buick wagon

Post by Admin Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:30 pm

Big Block Blues

i am on the trail of a buick wagon with a 455

at present that's all the info i have

i sure miss the old 392 in the travelall and got a notion that a big block sled with a bed to go might just scratch that itch Twisted Evil
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

buick wagon Empty Re: buick wagon

Post by hardtailjohn Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:33 pm

I had a 465 in my '44 Willys Coupe, coupled to a Dynaflow. Sure was a fun thing when you stomped on the "go" pedal! That was about the smoothest engine I've ever sat behind!
    JH
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:40 pm

i had a 4 door skylark--all i can tell ya (early 1980's time period) is it had a v8 and a wiring problem--i traded it back to the guy---earlier i had a 68 olds delta with the 455--it was a fun car

doing some research, i see the 455 from buick has a front mtd distributor--i am excited about this--ought to make a pretty decent tow rig--the folks that own it pulled some big ass camper trailer with it

it's all about the hunt to keep things fun cheers
    71ford100
    71ford100

Post by 71ford100 Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:27 am

You need to find one of the travelalls that has the same front end as the S series pickemups
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:55 am

I owned the last year of big buick with a 455. It was a huge yellow Station wagon. Nice car, I bought it off a lot for cheap in 94 because it had some problems with the tailgate and wiring. That clamshell tailgate kicked my ass but I finally got it all working right. Loaded that car up with stuff and drove it back to Alaska from S.D. The second day I was in back AK a guy bought it for more than twice what I had into it.
    JD, Buick often put the torque rating on the aircleaner, not the displacement. The Wildcat 465 was actually a 425 cubic inch. Very desirable engine and the largest of the nail heads.
    Any of the big inch GM engines from the 60s-70s are torque monsters and smooth.FWIW the 70 Buick GS with the stage 3 package was probably the hottest muscle car ever built. I seen one stomp the dog shit out of a dual quad 426 hemi roadrunner, 3 for 3.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:11 am

great info--thanks--it's a horse trade so i am waiting to see
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:44 am

I still have my 465 sitting here... some day it'd be fun to get another project for it!
    JH
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:20 am

71ford100 wrote:You need to find one of the travelalls that has the same front end as the S series pickemups

are you talking about the "torsion bar" suspension??

if so

HA

i already have one--now what?????

and it has a 392 in it--it is the non improved cooling--like all the 345's--i had it in a shop to get the heads done--it turned into a real mess--had to get the courts involved--the guy had stiffed parts suppliers and others--his place all of a sudden burnt in the middle of the night--insurance scam--and he was a regular under the judges desk---anyway --when we got it home the carb was flooding all over the engine -- i took the heads back off and stored them--the block needs the crank spiffed up and new bearings thru-out

then i will have a tall station wagon

this is all about a yard cleaning trade that will end up with a backup that anyone can jump in and drive--which would equal 2 homers for me Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:41 am