fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

3 posters

Garden

willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Garden Empty Garden

Post by willowbilly3 Mon May 16, 2011 5:30 am

Trying to get my garden in. Got spuds planted last week, much downsized from last year. I put in 4 rows about 60 feet long, should make 250# I suppose. Also a couple short rows of radish and swiss chard. Yesterday I got my onion plants in, one row about 90 feet long, same patch also a row of carrots and a row of bush beans. Hopefully today I can get in the rutabagas, beets, squash, cucumbers, some ornamental gourds and watermelons. Probably go look at some tomatoes and pepper plants this week too. I usually do about a dozen pepper plants and 20-25 tomato plants. We also planted 4 apple trees and 3 plum trees and have 10 buffalo berry bushes to get in. I really need to get some fence up to keep out the chickens and deer.
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Garden Empty Re: Garden

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Mon May 16, 2011 6:12 am

Wow being raised in Tx. This is sounds so late in the year but then I forgot how far north you are. No garden for me this year but some friends have been giving me potato's for over 2 weeks and onions for a month. He only planted 1015s but thats fine with me. He solved his chicken problem. He put them in the deep freeze and he has no deer. Good luck with yours. Whats a buffalo berry?
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Mon May 16, 2011 12:18 pm

http://www.allaboutstuff.com/Garden_Tips/sub_Buffalo_Berry.asp

Sorry, no picture. The bushes are silvery and the small berrys are orangish with one big seed. They are full of sharp thorns and picking usually nets a blood letting and some torn sleeves, but they are worth it, make great jelly and wine. My grampa always said wait until first frost and then put a tarp under the bush and hit it with a stick to knock them off but it seems the birds have them all by then.

I just got done planting a long row of beets and one of rutabagas planted, 4 hills of various squash, 2 hills of watermelon, one hill of cucumber and 2 hills of ornamental gourds. I am going back out to clean the raised bed where I have cilantro, oregano, dill, rosemary, chives and also I plant my peppers in there.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Mon May 16, 2011 6:57 pm

dang, you have been the busy beaver---i am way behind for our area, but the hail would have pretty much destroyed anything so i don't feel real bad--i was amazed to see they were harvesting wheat already in the area south of lafayette, la

i have been wasting my garden time on the greasy end of a wrench--almost caught up with that--did squeeze in a little tree pruning so as to allow more sun to some shady spots--one more lick with the tiller and then the planting

we have been sprouting all sorts of things-cukes,peppers,squash--have some volunteer cukes and pumpkins up-so using that as a mother nature guide things are on time

i am using old tires for my raised bed stuff -- a 15 on bottom and a 14 on top works real well-the garden is going to be a little different this year--i am planting by the companion plant thing, also working towards having a year round growing effort, so my layout is taking that into consideration--that and ease of maintenance
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Thu May 19, 2011 5:43 am

My son is in an apartment while in college at Tyler Texas. He works for a feed store part time and has a heck of pot plant garden on his patio. He planted onions in 3'x 4' wooden box 12" high with east Texas sandy lome and a chicken shit/shaving mix. He burnt the first planting up but his second planting is fantastic. About 10 pepper plants, several tomato plants and yellow crooked neck squash. He has already eaten squash and onions. I tried a patio garden, but the peppers is all I had any luck with. You have the right idea about a low maintenance approach.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Thu May 19, 2011 1:06 pm

yep--that chicken shit is pretty hot--learned the hard way myself--in sachse, yrs ago--rabbit shit is pretty forgiving--i need 2 rabbits and 2 milking sheep= fertilizer/food & lawnmower/food/cheese cheers and some cluckers--guess i'll wait till after the rapture this weekend affraid
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Thu May 19, 2011 3:43 pm

What time and day does the rapture hit exactly?
    Got a few things on my bucket list need tending to Garden 301330
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Thu May 19, 2011 4:54 pm

I'll make sure and wear my good underwear.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sat May 21, 2011 9:00 am

it hasn't happened at 8 48 am Very Happy

the guy never gave a specific time--just this date--seems as if he has cried wolf back in 94 prior to this "event"

btw--those berries are interesting--this is crazy at this time in life,but i feel the urge to get on a little bigger piece of land and do some serious hobby farming scratch

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:28 pm