fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

4 posters

travelalls may go to the yard

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

travelalls may go to the yard Empty travelalls may go to the yard

Post by Admin Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:34 pm

seems as if the windshields are no longer available--check one more place monday --if it's a no go then it's a no go--kinda feel low about it, but that the way she works--time to lighten some loads

the only possumbility would be to retrofit a windshield from an f150 or a 79ish gm pickup--which i have one of each--haven't put the tape on them yet

start the dismantle and salvage--use the ihc divorced t case on the blazer--then i can use whatever engine i want--392--345--400--350--351w and whatever trans

i am either gonna get well or get enuff meds to get me thru--or croak in the saddle travelalls may go to the yard 301330
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

travelalls may go to the yard Empty Re: travelalls may go to the yard

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:26 pm

What about fitting lexan in place of the original windsheild? Had a boss one time that did it for a 64 Ford drag car for weight. Should be able to find out how online. Its been awhile but he said you just heated it up with a heat gun and bent it to fit. Probably would have been a snap at 115 this summer
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:08 pm

315 degrees is the magic number for plexiglas. We form lots of windows for the planes and helicopters. build a "female" mold of the outline and sandwich the plex between that and a full sheet of mdf, then when all is hot and heatsoaked, blow the shape through holes drilled in the full sheet of mdf. Not complicated, and it's actually kind of fun! I used to make lots of "bubble" windows for the long line helicopter guys, so they could lean all the way out and look straight down, while still being "inside" a window.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:28 pm

John--what's your best guess as to overall cost??

i really would like to find a split pane frame to graft in---i have tried to find armored vehicle frames, but no luck

looks like a jeep windshield frame is a possibility--might even give it a chopped look--entire assembly available for 300--replacement windshield for jeep--89 bux
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:43 pm

The last full sheet of plex that I bought was a couple hundred. I shie away from Lexan, as it's really easy to scratch. It is a bit tougher to break, but it's a bear to keep cleand and not scratch all to hell.
    I borrowed the local EAA club's griddle (big commercial "WOLF" brand that they used for hotcakes) and built a box to enclose it out of drywall. That seemed to do just fine to raise the temp and keep it manageable. The only other expense was a couple digital thermometers and the MDF that we used for forms.

AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:55 am

JD, I thought I'd run a quick search and see what popped up. Found this. Mebbe they have one.

http://glass-seekers.com/

Also if ya can post year and model info. I love searching for oddball chit. Very Happy
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:32 pm

Clay---69 thru 75-- d series

1000DSeries (1969)
    1000 Series (1970)
    1010 Series (1971-1973)
    100 Series (1974), also 200 series
    150 Series (1975), production ceased April 1975.

i have a 1010 and a 150--the glass is not broken, but horribly pitted

other than some rust over the rear wheels and at the bottom of the tailgates, they are both remarkably sound
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:27 pm

i did some measuring--the 67-79 ford pu windshield is very close--i have 2 cabs with good framework and new windshields--seems like that may be the ticket

update--i am going to put a ford windshield in it--it's a stupid thing, but there are some things i can't part with--a travelall is the most comfortable feel going down the road--shoot, ya can't find a cheaper project than stuff that's scrap value--and if i screw it up it won't take long for the whole top to fall off--who needs windows lol!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:50 pm

it's approaching 2 months and no sign of the buyer----probably gonna keep them---they both are some of the most easy riding trucks or whatever--suv, etc.----i have ever drove--the only better ride was the 64 gran prix

but i did sell one of the 345 blocks--we stripped it and it weighed up right fine---and the tin cans that come with food in them turned out to be well worth saving

mainly, i was looking 2 c when the date on this thread was,the stan's header buyer seems to have lost interest or funding--i decided that if i sold the headers it was all going--well, looks like i am stuck with them--just throw my rabbit ass in the briars, will ya?? travelalls may go to the yard 301330

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 7:54 am