fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

4 posters

JB How are those pistols?

spartman
    spartman
    Admin

JB How are those pistols? Empty JB How are those pistols?

Post by spartman Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:11 pm

Was wondering how those new russian pistols are working for ya?

Have been checking them out and they are kinda cool with the revolver moving up to the barrel when firing.

Supposedly its the only pistol that you can put a silencer on.

Think its worth it for a self defense type pistol or should a person look at say a SM Sigma series or even like a Glock 19 model?

I know theres a shitload of difference in price between em.
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

JB How are those pistols? Empty Re: JB How are those pistols?

Post by willowbilly3 Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:21 pm

They are cool as hell but I haven't shot one yet. Cabella's has them today for $99, not sure about tomorrow. If I was in RC I would buy 4-5 more because you know as soon as the run dries up, the price will start going up.
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

Post by spartman Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:52 pm

Hmmmm

Wonder if the Mitchell Cabella's would have em?

Course they would need to have them until after the 2nd week of Dec. Thats when I get my christmas bonus. I hope.....
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

Post by spartman Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:20 pm

Stopped at the Cabella's in Mitchell last night and they did have em there for 99 bux.

Also came across a rifle they had for sale. Was a new Savage Axis Synthetic Black Rifle chambered for 30-06 on sale for 260 bux.

Been reading a bit about the rifle and it sounds like its not a bad rifle, but a bit of a cheap rifle.

Anyone here have any experience with it or know if its a good price for a rifle like this?

willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:03 pm

As good of gun as you can get for the money. It doesn't come with the accu-trigger so the trigger is pretty clunky but a $60 trigger makes it as good of rifle as you can get for twice the money, very accurate I'm told. Also check bud's gun shop online. Their prices are hard to beat and free shipping but you have to have it shipped to a local FFL of course.

edit, just looked and Bud's is $267 so yeah, you won't find a better deal on that gun.
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

Post by spartman Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:02 pm

Hmm, have to try and get it.

Still thinking I should get a shotgun or a pistol for home defense though......
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:56 pm

Cheap pump shotgun is my personal choice. You don't have to aim very good and if the sound of you racking a round into a pump scatter gun doesn't turn him around, might as well ventilate his torso.
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:32 am

Yup, what JB said... that sound and just point and shoot....
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

Post by spartman Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:16 am

Am thinking shotgun as well, but did read an article that has made me think.

A couple of points that he raised with using a shotgun for personal protection are the fact that the shortest legal shotgun is going to have a min of an 18 inch barrel. That would make maneuvering in the house a bit of a hassle.

Another concern he stated was that with any shotgun you need both hands free to use it, and if your trying to move your loved ones to a safe place it may make that task harder.

A third point was that shotguns are loud. Imagine firing one off inside a house at one perp and needing to find the second perp. The blast from the shotgun in a small room may render your hearing useless for a minute or two, and that could make the difference for ya.

They seem like valid points to consider to me.

It could be that a .38 special, .357, 9mm, or .40 could be just as noisy in the same situation.

Another thing that I was thinking about was pattern spread, I know most shotguns are set up for a pretty tight pattern in close range, since most shotguns are used for hunting.

Does this make sense??
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:08 pm

the noise factor is one of those things that doesn't come across on the old tv--any firearm discharged in a confined space will mess with your ears--same thing outside in cold weather--shot some 45 auto rounds one night, it was in the teens--couldn't hear right for a week
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:45 pm

Accidentally shot my mossberg in the house once. Loud? Yes but I could still hear good enough. That was an 18 1/2 inch barrel and it patterned out real quick. Mossberg also makes a pump in 410 called a home defender. Pretty sure you could shoot it with one hand if you had a pistol grip on it. Or cradle the butt in the crook of your arm. There are pluses to a semi auto pistol, but to me they don't outweigh a good scatter gun. Most people couldn't hit a bull broadside with one at 30 yards, especially with adrenalin pumping, much easier to steady the shotgun. Whatever you decide to get, practice with it a lot and get very familiar, wifey too. When you need to use it, it has to be a conditioned response, not an act of desperation.

Here ya go

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=319283527

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:55 pm