fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

4 posters

attn spart

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

attn spart Empty attn spart

Post by Admin Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:56 pm

basic timing on my six seems to be about 10---i am sure the gears have some wear after 1 or 2 hundred thousand--the 2 bbl conversion has been a challenge--but i think i finally have it tuned pretty good--still holding 15 lbs of vacuum--i need to make a shorter riser block so i can get a bigger air cleaner on it--the old doghouse makes everything that would be no sweat on a pickup a pita
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

attn spart Empty Re: attn spart

Post by spartman Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:00 pm

Sounds good.

Got a vid of my 240 I think something is a bit loud.

The noise is from the engine itself, the exhaust has been totally fixed.

I dont think my engine is supposed to sound like a diesel at idle.

Could my timing gears make that much noise? They arent the stock set but a steel set from P.A.W.

https://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h95/spartman/?action=view&current=0627001749.mp4
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:04 pm

sounds pretty good--maybe a little lifter noise--have u adjusted them??----to me 6's are like the old iron head harleys--when u are sitting on top of one it sounds like a singer sewing machine at 65 or so--just a noisier engine than an v 8
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

Post by spartman Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:19 pm

only adjustment was on the rebuild. Less than 5 hours on the engine.
    Hardly broke in.

Just sounds noisy for an engine to me.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:44 pm

the last 2 fresh built 300 6's i was around during the setup and breakin/drive in were very noisy--it was all lifters and gears--the ihc's are noisy too--due to the gear drive versus chain--i would run/drive it a few more hours and re-adjust the lifters--kinda a messy job--cuz ya gotta do it running with the valve cover off---if they really are clicking and clacking--maybe time to do it now
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:51 pm

I've had glass smooth 300s and some that ticked like a cheap clock.
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

Post by spartman Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:13 am

I guess I havent been around enough 240/300's then.

Just kinda scared me when I heard it run with a fully functioning exhaust and it sounded like a diesel at idle.

JD why do you need to adjust the rockers with the engine running?
    Wouldnt that be awful hard to do?
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:43 pm

spartman wrote:I guess I havent been around enough 240/300's then.

Just kinda scared me when I heard it run with a fully functioning exhaust and it sounded like a diesel at idle.

JD why do you need to adjust the rockers with the engine running?
    Wouldnt that be awful hard to do?

Do you have adjustable rocker arms on it? Some do and some don't
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

Post by spartman Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:11 pm

Stock rockers.

From what I can remember they are press in studs and they are held down by the regular nut.

Hydraulic lifters as per stock setup.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:52 pm

idk--i just got the beer-----seriously--flat screwdriver--1/2 inch wrench(maybe 3/8's)---feeler gauges--lot's beer and rags

better ask ac or jb

i am gettin' old
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:11 pm

willowbilly3 wrote:I've had glass smooth 300s and some that ticked like a cheap clock.

Yah...but no glass smooth Iron Heads!! I always said if I could see the mirrors, the engine was gone! attn spart 366584
    JH
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:46 am

hardtailjohn wrote:
    willowbilly3 wrote:I've had glass smooth 300s and some that ticked like a cheap clock.

Yah...but no glass smooth Iron Heads!! I always said if I could see the mirrors, the engine was gone! attn spart 366584
    JH

And a right leg like Paul Bunyan if you ever tried to start it after the sun went down.lol
    spart, the rockers all look the same and the studs all press in. The adjustable ones are just like a small block cheby, adjust by loosening/tightening the nut. The only basic difference is whether there are enough threads on the stud. Most of the non adjustable ones have a stud that tapers down to 5/16 where the threads start and you just run them down 'till they bottom out.
    Ifn I get time, I am going back to a stock cam, or an Isky Mile-a-more, and use Chevy 250 rockers. They are a 1.6 ratio instead of the stock 1.5 and you can get a little more lift. I am also thinking of going back to a stock intake, maybe modify one to use a Rochester 2GC like JD is using.
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

Post by spartman Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:31 am

Gonna have to pull the valve cover and check it out, hopefully sometime this weekend.

Been considering either the cheby rockers or going with roller rockers. Main thing with the rollers is the reduced friction and with these engines, I think every little bit helps.

Have also considered going with the adjustable timing set if they are still made, and putting it straight up at least instead of the factory setting.
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:02 am

spartman wrote:Gonna have to pull the valve cover and check it out, hopefully sometime this weekend.

Been considering either the cheby rockers or going with roller rockers. Main thing with the rollers is the reduced friction and with these engines, I think every little bit helps.

Have also considered going with the adjustable timing set if they are still made, and putting it straight up at least instead of the factory setting.

Cloyes makes an adjustable timing set, basically the lower gear has 3 keyways. I read all about it on Fordsix and forgot most of the thread on roller rockers but I think they use big block Ford ones with some slight mods IIRC.
    My Offy C and 390 run sweet but the low end grunt is a little off with the 268 cam and the milage pretty much sucks. I might as well have a 460 when I tow, at least it would have some huevos. A 2 wheel trailer with 1000# on it will knock it down around 10 mpg, 8 with a head wind.
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

Post by spartman Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:06 pm

Cloyes was the one I was thinking of. Couldnt remember the name.

I have heard various success stories about the bbc roller rockers. I know the Harland Sharp ones for the BB6 are rock solid even if they are the stock ratio.

Got an Offy C intake as well, but Im currently running an Autolite/Motorcraft 2100 2 bbl with the 1.02 venturies and some 46 jets.
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

Post by spartman Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:48 pm

Found the set I used for the timing gears. Sorry no pic

https://secure.pawengineparts.com/shoppingcart/ShowItem.cfm?itemid=7999&catid=
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:18 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content