fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

+2
Admin
AlleyCat
6 posters

Old tractor

AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Old tractor Empty Old tractor

Post by AlleyCat Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:27 pm

A friend of my brother's picked up a real decent 9N on C/L for $450. Brother spent several evenings to get it running. Former owner said it sat about 3 years. Judging from the molasses that came out of the gas tank it was closer to 30 years. I ran it around a bit before we hauled it back to his buddy's place. Runs nice.

Old tractor 08080014531
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Old tractor Empty Re: Old tractor

Post by Admin Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:32 pm

man--that's a great deal--those things are like gold in these parts
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

Post by spartman Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:37 pm

Looks like a nice one.

Does it have a 3 point hitch on the back?

What about power steering and hydraulics?
    AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:50 pm

Clutch is a bit grabby but other than that it drives like new. Other than the headlights are missing it's complete. It must have had a relatively easy life.

Spart it does have a 3 point hitch. No power steering or hydraulics though.
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:25 am

I'd say he got a smokin deal, they start at about $1000 around here in running condition. I'm not sure why though, I think they are way over rated. Same money will buy you a lot better tractor in some other color. 9N has only a 3 speed with no road gear. Collectors love them though and he should be able to double up his money or better, if he decises to sell it.
    I bought a 640, which is a couple evolutions from a 9N. It is a decent tractor but the gearing sucks. 1st is too fast for mowing heavy growth with the sickle bar or the 5' brush hog and the ground driven PTO is a total pain in the ass. I'm going to spruce it up and try to trade up to a 3000-4000 or maybe something like a 454-504 international with power steering and live power.
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

Post by spartman Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:16 am

If you get an IH make sure to stay away from the hydrostatic drive ones.

They work nice, but consume shitloads of gas and if they break, better open up your wallet.

We had a 656 with one and it went out. Forget what went wrong, but they mechanics said it was a simple fix, but cost over 1500 bux. That was back in about 95.

Also when whatever failed ( I think it was the pump) everything else went out as well, no power steering, no pto no hydraulics. You could start it, rev the engine and honk the horn.
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:32 am

spartman wrote: You could start it, rev the engine and honk the horn.
    At that point, it'd be the perfect tractor for Lance! Old tractor 366584 Old tractor Lol Old tractor 366584
    JH
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:04 am

too funny--where is Lance--did that bug he had win?????

calling Lance
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:34 am

spartman wrote:If you get an IH make sure to stay away from the hydrostatic drive ones.

They work nice, but consume shitloads of gas and if they break, better open up your wallet.

We had a 656 with one and it went out. Forget what went wrong, but they mechanics said it was a simple fix, but cost over 1500 bux. That was back in about 95.

Also when whatever failed ( I think it was the pump) everything else went out as well, no power steering, no pto no hydraulics. You could start it, rev the engine and honk the horn.
    Same with the 4000 Fords, stay away from the Select-oshift. If you can even find someone who knows how to work on them it might cost more than the tracor is worth.
    AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:03 pm

willowbilly3 wrote:I'd say he got a smokin deal, they start at about $1000 around here in running condition. I'm not sure why though, I think they are way over rated. Same money will buy you a lot better tractor in some other color. 9N has only a 3 speed with no road gear. Collectors love them though and he should be able to double up his money or better, if he decises to sell it.

I see quite a few little Fords and Fergusons around here that work on a regular basis. I think it has a lot to do with the terrain in this area. Most of them are running brush hogs or small side mowers. In newer tractors I see a lot of Kabotas. My dad has a TO35 with a hog that runs great. Neighbor across the lane from my folks place is still using the same 8N he had when we moved there in '70.
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:50 pm

There's a lot of 8N and 9Ns everywhere. They must have been cheap to buy new. Every Farm had an AD chevy and a Fordson.
    71ford100
    71ford100

Post by 71ford100 Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:14 pm

I'm alive...cut wheat this weekend I shall have pictures tonight hopefully. That bug took me out for a couple of days (and cost me a weekends worth of money!) I got a 2n that is loose for $60.00 but that is when scrap was really low and she wanted everything gone.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:17 am