fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

+3
Admin
AlleyCat
willowbilly3
7 posters

Ma

AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Ma - Page 2 Empty Re: Ma

Post by AlleyCat Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:43 am

My thoughts and prayers to you and yours. Wish I could say more but I'm not so good at social graces.
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:12 am

hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:34 am

willowbilly3 wrote: Non traditional service will be Monday. I wanted to have a band and an open bar with festival seating but that was a bit too nontraditional for the others, lol.

Certainly not "too non traditional" for me! I've been to quite a few services, and can't believe some of them! Went to one for a guy I grew up with a couple months ago...2 hours of 3 different preachers and not one word about who JOE was. Mad We have one today for the guy I used to haul oil for... hope it's not that way, and it doesn't look like it will be. His son has pulled in 12 of their trucks so far, and they're expecting around 750 people... hopefully it will be about LIFE, not death. I always said I wanted a party and laughter...celebrate the LIFE.
    JB, if your adventures ever bring you this direction, know you've got a bunk here!
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:12 pm

Thanks John.
    I am kind of the joker and can keep an atmosphere from getting to somber. In the hour or so we waited for them to come pick up her body we had some good laughs, and a few cried.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:09 am

that was a nice write up on your mom--she was 6 yrs older than my mom and dad---all those people were hardy stock without a lick of quit in them--i personally think that comes from the time when fire wood came from the forest when u brought it and that next meal came from what ya growed,canned or got the evening on the way in from the field

lot's of good places in northern new mexico--i like the area north of las vegas--mora--lots of high altitude lakes on primitive camping--wonderful summer weather
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:26 am

Yeah JD, also comes from growing up in the great depression, they never get over that.
    Nobody ever showed up that didn't get fed. She always had canned meat and could stir up a batch of meat gravy and taters on a moments notice. Monday was wash day and she washed all day, with a wringer washer. Tue she made bread all day. That was the day I didn't dawdle walking home from school because there would be a big hot cinnamon roll waiting. She always raised 200-300 friers so we ate fried chicken a lot. Had a couple milk cows for fresh milk and that cream you had to spoon out of the jar. If you sat down at our table, the only thing from the store was the flour in the gravy and the salt and pepper.
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:06 am

Cool memories JB!!
    Watching the video yesterday, that Dell's kids made for his life, it sure did make ya realize what a difference there is in the beliefs and "core" of different generations. They were sure a cut above what's coming up, as far as I'm concerned! I remember my Great Grandma telling about walking across the country, when her family was coming from the East coast to North Dakota as a girl of about 6.... not many of the modern kids would be able to handle that!
    Like your memories show, life was alot of work back then, and they were very glad to have what they had...no sign of the greed that is so prominent anymore. My hat's off to those generations and all they did for us, so we would have it easier. Amazing people!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:13 am