fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

5 posters

Mack truck info

spartman
    spartman
    Admin

Mack truck info Empty Mack truck info

Post by spartman Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:24 pm

Just was wondering if any of you had info experiences etc with the old macks from the 60's.

I guess it would be the B series truck.

They look like a sharp rig and could almost be driven on the road and not really look like a truck.

I think the local snapon guy might have a lowered one for his route, but Im not sure.
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Mack truck info Empty Re: Mack truck info

Post by willowbilly3 Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:42 pm

B series are cool as hell looking but I have heard they were kind of a pos, maybe just rumor. There's a sweet single axle gasser setting at a friend of mine's shop.
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

Post by spartman Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:42 pm

hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:30 am

I "cut my teeth" on a B61. lol! Actually, I did drive one for an outfit from Stevensville, MT for a while. It was a real sleeper...had a 380 Cummins and a 5x4 and Page suspension... I hauled grain with it for about 4 months. Carl had that engine turned up and it really ran!! I sure had a blast, passing newer trucks on the hills! I went back after I'd quit, and was going to buy it, but one of the drivers had been backing up a trailer in the dark, and hit it right in the driver's door, and pushed it back under the counterweight of a crane...ruined it completely......I was heartbroken. The first B model I ever drove, was a loader carrier that Larry Harness was using in the woods here...had a 3x5x2 transmissions! I thought I was really hot shit, when I could run all 3 sticks! I drove one for Bob Wagar, with a dump box on it...had a huge load of washed sand on it one time and powered out on a hill...didn't have enough brakes to hold it...took a bit of a ride backwards, and sure scared the hell out of me! Got her wedged up on a big stump and got a cat to come pull me the rest of the way up... sure was a learning experience! The "B" models look pretty cool, but I really have a soft spot for the LT model.....someday.... Cool
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:50 am

I never drove a B Mack but the second truck I ever drove was an old Mack Cab over
    It had a small Mack diesel engine and that wonderfull (LOL) Maxi-dyne 5 speed
    The first truck I ever drove was a 60"s Long nose GMC with a 2 stroke 318 Detroit and a 13 speed Road Ranger
    The Jimmy you shifted constantly and the Mack about once a min. LOL
    The Jimmy was a lot more fun
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:11 am

I used to work on some mack trucks, can't remember the model but the ones with the squarish cab that is offset to the driver's side. Most of them were Maxadyne engines and one helluva workhorse. I had to change the clutch in one with a quadreplex transmission, what a hunk of iron that tranny was!
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

Post by spartman Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:24 pm

When I drove for my dad I got to drive a 79 cab over cruiseliner I think it was called.

Had the 300+ mack engine with that wonderful 5 speed.

What a pain that was to shift from 4th to 5th. Rev the piss out of it in 4th, double clutch and go for 5th, and pray the rpms didnt fall below 1200 when you let the clutch out.

Also I think the people at mack loved pain, since they are the ones who invented/used that damned camelback suspension.
    AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:42 pm

willowbilly3 wrote: I used to work on some mack trucks, can't remember the model but the ones with the squarish cab that is offset to the driver's side. Most of them were Maxadyne engines and one helluva workhorse. I had to change the clutch in one with a quadreplex transmission, what a hunk of iron that tranny was!

It was either a U or a DM ( dump/mixer ) most U's were tractors. The DM's were built heavy to handle rock bodies or mixers. They also made a hell of a rolloff chassis. Scrap yard has an early 90's DM triaxle rolloff. 350 4 valve Mack, 7 speed Maxitorque trans and 55,000 lb Mack rears on camelback suspension. It's ugly and it will beat your brains out empty but it won't say quit. In PA you are allowed 73,280 lbs on 4 axles. I've had it grossing 95 and change. Laughing

B's are cool. Lots of info and goodies out there for them. The biggest downside I've ever found to them was lack of room in the cab. The engineers must have used a guy who was 5'6" or so to design the cab around. Don't ever try to open palm the wheel with the vent window open. The end result will be a handfull of smashed knuckles.

Here's a good link for Mack info.
    http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

Post by spartman Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:20 pm

Been looking and looking at mack stuff.

Few good things, but mostly crap due to google I believe.

Would be kinda cool to either put the cab on a dually frame or just drive it as is.

Oh well. Just kinda cool anyways

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:34 pm