fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

4 posters

Tell me about that asprin in the Battery magic bullet

CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Tell me about that asprin in the Battery magic bullet Empty Tell me about that asprin in the Battery magic bullet

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Mon May 09, 2011 6:46 am

Who posted that asprin in the battery thread. I can't find it.
    My sailboat deep cycle battery needed a charge and I added some distilled water to top it off
    Now it won't take a charge. Guess this is a good time to try the asprin thing out
    What do I do? Just add half a asprin to each cell and hook the charger back up?
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Tell me about that asprin in the Battery magic bullet Empty Re: Tell me about that asprin in the Battery magic bullet

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Mon May 09, 2011 12:09 pm

Spent my lunch at the marina. I put 1/2 an asprin in each cell and hooked the charger up.
    I put it on a 15amp charge and I'll check it in the morning. My Fluke vom said 1 volt so its gone for sure and should be a good test for this asprin theory. 650 amp deep cycle battery at 15 amp charge = 43 hours. It should show some improvment if its going to work by tomorrow i would think.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Tell me about that asprin in the Battery magic bullet Empty Re: Tell me about that asprin in the Battery magic bullet

Post by Admin Mon May 09, 2011 1:59 pm

my battery rejuev is not so good--i read a piece on shock therapy--light them up with a stick welder until battery is warm--using the de-sulphate mode on batt charger and fresh electrolyte, i have made one good enough to start my lawnmower, it is still not hot enough for the welder--the sulphate is the killer--i think the welder treatment basically dissolves the sulphates--i am 0 for 10 on the aspirin
    AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat Mon May 09, 2011 9:32 pm

Shock therapy will sometimes bring them back. I've never tried it with a welder though. I've brought some back with a Start All. If you've never seen/used/heard of them here's a link.

http://www.goodallmfg.com/startalls.html

Not something most of us would buy since they are quite pricey but they are slick. Most towing and road service outfits own at least one. If you have a friend that has access to one it might be favor time. Smile The shock of the high amperage has been known to blow the sulphated material off of the plates. It has also been known to blow the top off of bad batteries so don't stand too close when shocking one.
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Tue May 10, 2011 6:49 am

Thanks guys, I don't have a welder anymore so thats out. I knew of a guy that got cut up pretty bad by the plastic case when one blew up so I don't think I wanna try that one. I'll find out if the asprin works around 8am when I go to the marina. Yesterday I remembered Mr. Battery in Dallas close to where I used to live. I drove by and they are now the Interstate authorized reconditioning dealer. Any battery Interstate makes is $40 plus a core. 6 month guarantee. This sounds good enough to me if mine does not come back from the dead. Every battery I looked at was less than a year old. The guy I talked to said 90% of the batteries he gets from Interstate have nothing wrong with them.
    They also have those gell cell optima and cell tower gell cells for $75 plus a core, same guarantee.
    I have heard that the cell tower gell cells get changed out every year but for now I'll just go with a Interstate marine if I have to.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Tue May 10, 2011 1:24 pm

good info on the interstate store--is that by mockingbird & inwood?? i'll go forty on an interstate any day cheers

and i have a red top that needs to be exchanged--it served me well until i screwed up and hooked a standard battery with it to power trailer winch--no can do--or you can and.........
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Tue May 10, 2011 5:14 pm

Mr. Battery is at the NE corner of Garland Rd and Jupiter. I checked my battery this morning and had 8 volts so I,m going to give it another night. 1 volt to 8 volts tells me the asprin did some good because with the charger on it for 24 hours before the asprin I had no improvement at all.
    AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat Tue May 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Interstate batteries are one of the few things I swear by. cheers cheers Last fall the 60 month Interstate in my 96 passed the 84 month mark. It was still good but I figured it was time for a new one. Walked into the Interstate store and bought a new top of the line battery for it. Guy on the counter got a bit rattled when he started to look up the price and I told him I didn't give a chit what it cost just write the bill. It was worth the $85 or so to know it's gonna start. ☀
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Wed May 11, 2011 6:38 am

I'm back from the marina, my old battery still has 8 volts so its shot. However it did gain 7volts with the asprin. I'd like to see if one that volts out at 10-11 would come back to life. I'm to busy to get to Mr. Battery today but I'll keep ya posted on how that works out.
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Wed May 11, 2011 9:17 am

Sometimes the crud builds up in a battery until it shorts out the bottom of the plates. If you are really desperate you can dump out the acid and clean the battery with epsom salts or even soda water. Then flush good with clean water and add the acid back in-recharge. It worked on 7 out of 8 I tried it on once.
    I added water to my pickup battery once when I was servicing it. The battery went from good to stone dead, instantly, and never came back.
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Thu May 12, 2011 6:51 pm

I got a battery today. A Interstate marine 1000cc amp starting battery. They didn't have any deep cycle ones left. He said it was a 6 month shelf pull. Said Interstate pulls them off the shelf at 6 months and Mr. Battery gets them. Both terminals had never had anything on them and it didn't look like anything had ever been on the screw posts. Anyway its a Oct. 2010 model for $40 buck plus tax. I think it will keep my single 1156 bow light and festoon stern light going for 8-16 hours or a weekends night sailing. My next project is LED bow light and stern light. Then drop the mast and add a LED anchor light and steaming light with a deck light and wiring. I forgot the Admirals tunes. Of course that will add to the battery draw. Tell me about that asprin in the Battery magic bullet 301330
    I guess I could add a second battery at $40 bucks with a transfer switch to make sure I have running lights. The boat had 2 when I got it but the other one died fast.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Fri May 13, 2011 11:57 am

i wonder what the investment for a franchise would be??

we need one of those in this area
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Sat May 14, 2011 3:18 am

Well until you become Mr. Interstate of Oklahoma I think you could come down and get 3 while we go sailing. Just drive your best mpg vehicle and chaulk it up to sailing lessons so you don't have to add fuel prices to the cost of the batteries.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sat May 14, 2011 7:10 am

that sounds like a plan--i am on the verge of having 3 roadworthy vehicles--each with fresh shocks and tires--when i have the ac fixed on the olds and pontiac, then it'll be road trip time--the pontiac is scheduled for repair this coming week, actually starting on it today--complete flush out and re-new

until the nba playoffs are over, i can't get Julie to go anywhere that doesn't involve big screens or live tickets--the animals and i have been basketball orphans for the past few months

i kinda lost interest in pro ball along about the time that the pale skinned guys pissadeared, thanks to the europeans and south americans there are some dang good representatives of the evil caucasians--

anyway, it could be much much worse
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Sat May 14, 2011 9:57 am

My interstate dealer in Anch. used to sell "blems" They removed any name from then and sold them cheap. I think they were outdated and trade in batterys that checked out good. I always used them in my trading stock vehicles.
    Here's another idea JD. If you have a dealer where you know them, or not, well ask if you can go through their battery cores. Tale a volt meter and see if any have over 11 volts. Lots of batterys get replaced when it was something else wrong and half the batterys in their cores are still good. You can buy them or take other known fubar batterys and trade.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sun May 15, 2011 7:08 am

way back when there was an interstate factory store near the mockingbird & irving blvd area, they had the blems for sale--i looked up the dealers and that location no longer shows, i am pretty sure the mfg plant was right there close

my favorite dealer here went bust a month or so back

CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Sun May 15, 2011 7:30 am

I purchased a set for one of my trucks there. It was more of a warehouse than a store if I remember right
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Mon May 16, 2011 6:29 am

JD, They sold 6 batteries to people at my marina just this past Saturday. This is just from 3 people that I heard back from. Word spreads fast.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Mon May 16, 2011 7:00 pm

good products at good prices still works cheers
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Tue May 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Sex and alcohol still works to. Tell me about that asprin in the Battery magic bullet 301330
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Wed May 18, 2011 7:50 pm

i've heard stories to that effect--i do have a hankerin' for some shine -- that store bought stuff just don't work right anymore--i haven't had anything in a month or better--there are still days ya wake up feeling like a truck wreck--go figure--the avoid hangovers, stay buzzed served me well for several years--chemistry and botany are where it's at- in retrospect, i wish someone had splained that to me about 45 yrs ago
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Thu May 19, 2011 5:27 am

We had a supplier/ maker. in East Texas up until I was about 22. A 1st cousin of mine would get it but he passed away and he was our only link. It was Rye whiskey and just like drinking lemonade. Came in a quart fruit jar. About 1/2 a tin cup was all you could drink and still halfway walk. No hangover with it. Sure miss that stuff. I switched from Stoli to Dripping Springs Vodka in my quest to buy American when possible. Dripping Srings is made in Dripping Springs Texas and cost a little less. I guess the cartage from Russia is more than from the Hill country. Both have no hang over.
    AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat Thu May 19, 2011 12:09 pm

I gotta look for Dripping Springs. Vodka is a main ingredient in my favorite sipping beverage. drunken
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Mon May 23, 2011 2:26 pm

is it better than tito's??

if so, i gotta try some,too Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 6:29 pm