fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

+2
spartman
willowbilly3
6 posters

Speaking on guns

willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Speaking on guns Empty Speaking on guns

Post by willowbilly3 Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:29 am

I'm not sure why I have a renewed fascination with guns, got plum out of them for a couple decades. I have accumulated some old mausers and a cheap old 22 this year. But I am thinking on a really nice rifle. Been studying some on the new ones and have gravitated towards getting a nice one. Tika, Sako and Kimber all make some sweet guns but for a little more money I could have a custom made. I saw a dandy Dakota Arms 280 yesterday. It was build on a Remington 700 action. It had a fluted Shilen barrel and a Bishop thumbhole stock, around $1600, not much more than a Kimber really. I'm not sure on caliber, leaning towards something in a 6.5 caliber. Maybe a 6.5-284, quarter sized groups at 500 yds., more penetration and flatter shooting than a 300 winny with noticeably less recoil. Well, I'm just rambling now, any opinions?
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

Speaking on guns Empty Re: Speaking on guns

Post by spartman Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:44 am

Wish I had some input, but you lost me at Tika.

Did see a really nice Henry lever action on a raffle that if I would have had the ticket money, I would have at least put my name in the pot.
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:02 am

I'm kinda getting interested in them again too. A friend of mine brought his new pistol over the other day...shoots 45 Long Colt and 410 shotgun shells! Talk about a hoot!! We shot a bunch of 410 slugs... that's a pretty good knockdown round for close range! He's a game warden and wants to carry it for bear..... I was totally impressed with it... they call it the "Judge"...titanium, short barrel, pretty sweet! It bucked a bit, but not as bad as I thought it would.
    I also love Henrys! Always thought they were an awesome little gun... if only they'd make a lever action 45-70 or something... I'd probably have to have one!
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:38 am

Those Henrys are a nice action, better than any lever gun Marlin or Winchester ever made. My brother has a couple of the brass ones. If you get the steel receiver it has a receiver top that will take a scope but you'd have to drill holes in the brass one to put a scope on. AFAIK they come in 22, 22 mag, 17 HMR and I think a couple pistol rounds like 357 Magnum and maybe 44. It would be sweet in a 45-70, 444, or 450. I looked at a new Marlin 45-70 but the trigger is such a sloppy piece of junk on them I decided not, that's when I went ahead and bought the sharps.
    I was looking at one of those 45/410s, nice piece. I have one of the first run Thompson Contenders in 45/410. It was new in the early 70s and has fired maybe 5-6 rounds through it. I don't get it out much except to show it off.
    I have also been thinking about a cowboy rig, maybe a colt six shooter replica in a 45 LC and a nice Hunter holster.
    It seems like guns are about as good of a solid risk free investment as there is right now. In the last 5 years they have gone up 25-30%. I thought silver was the ticket and bought some of that over the last couple years but it has kind of flat lined, actually went way up and then took a dump last summer. If I don't invest in something I will just piss it away on whiskey, fast women and slow cars, lol.
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:38 pm

Kate's late brother Frank, left a fair gun collection...some he bought, some he inherited, and some he got in other places he didn't talk about. We wound up with them a couple years ago. Her other brother, a sherrif in WA, sent them home with us... all 17 at once, as well as about 2,000 rounds..... about half way home the thought crossed my mind....wonder what I should do if I get pulled over??? I'm sure the officer would have some big eyes!!!!! hahhaa
    The pride of the bunch is a side by side L.C. Smith 12 gauge.... always wanted a side by side and finally got one! There's a few in there from foreign countries... I'll have to post some pics...wierd action on them...it's a bolt, but pulls straight back, no rotation...
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:03 pm

Some of the Swede's I believe, had a straight pull military rifle. I have seen a few of them at Cabellas in the last couple years. Maybe a Styer or something like that. Cool action.
    AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:51 am

Nice thread. We must have some of that karma or what ever it is going on. I haven't owned guns in years. Last fall I bought a 500 Mossburg for home defence. Right now i'm looking at buying a .38 stubby to carry concealed. Looking at a hammerless S&W and a Ruger. Local dealer didn't have a Ruger on stock the other day but he should have them in today. Ruger has a little bigger hand grips than the S&W which is nice for scarred up, arthritic paws. Trigger pull is supposed to be smoother too. I'll let yinz know what happens.

I like those Henrys too. Something for the future I hope. I'm real interested in these cowboy shooting meets. For now I don't have the $$$ to play but after my child support payments end I wanna look into it a bit more.
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

Post by spartman Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:05 pm

I'd love to have a Henry , a Vaquero, and a nice shot gun in my gun cabinet if I could afford it.

At this point Ill take a good rifle, a nice handgun, and a decent shotgun.

Maybe if I have any money left in my Christmas bonus, Ill have to get me one of the above.

Any recommendations on a decent hand gun or shotgun?

Doesnt need be a big fancy gun, I kinda value function more than form.

Know what I mean Verne?
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:08 pm

410 revolver
    AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:57 pm

Today I bought a Ruger LCR .38 special. Nice little pistol. For me the size of the hand grips clinched the deal over a S&W J frame. Super simple to operate.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/models.html

I guess I should have saved last month's bonus money from the dealer but I figured WTF I might not wake up tomorrow.

Can't wait to try it out. Very Happy
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:03 pm

That Mossberg 500 is a great shotgun for the money. I sold mine when I was in Texas, didn't have much use for the 18 1/2" rifled barrel after I left Alaska. I always had a soft spot for a model 97 Wichester and have been looking for one like I shot when I was a kid. The local gunshop has a decent take down model for $500
    AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:43 am

The one I bought is a .20 gauge. It's got enough punch for what I want it for. It's a youth model with a shorter stock. Stock extension came with it. 2 screws and it works out real nice. Kinda plain but you don't need fancy for home defence. Dealer ordered it for someone and they backed out. Gun, 2 boxes of shells, tax and background check fee came to $340 and change.
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:49 am

As far as accuracy goes for my money you started this thread wishing for that Dakota Arms in 280 Rem. I'd stay right there for accuracy. My Browning A-Bolt in 280 Rem. was the most accurate caliber I have ever owned or shot. 5 shots in one hole at 200 yards when I'm having a good day. I only sold it due to the $50+ hand load ammo prices. My son traded his AR for a Weatherby Mark 5 Accumark in 7 Rem. Mag. Composite stock with a fluted stainless barrel. He made a 300 yd. head shot on a antlerless whitetail opening day. I really think any of the new guns with the cnc machining are out of the box super accurate. I looked at the Tika, Sako, Weatherby, Kimber, Rem. and Winchester when looking at new guns. All good guns but I'm a Browning guy

willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:31 am

AlleyCat wrote:The one I bought is a .20 gauge. It's got enough punch for what I want it for. It's a youth model with a shorter stock. Stock extension came with it. 2 screws and it works out real nice. Kinda plain but you don't need fancy for home defence. Dealer ordered it for someone and they backed out. Gun, 2 boxes of shells, tax and background check fee came to $340 and change.

I always said that if the sound of you racking a round into a pump shotgun doesn't turn someone around, you might as well just shoot the bastard right there. Self defense, a pump shotgun would win out over a handgun any day in my book. A little tough for a concealed carry tho,lol.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:35 pm

Clay--those are handy

the lowly 22 is still a very effective killer--ask your local assassin Speaking on guns 301330

ammo availability should be a big factor in choice--a whole buncha guns and no bullets won't do much good--wtshf it's gonna come down to primitive weapons

save the last bullet Wink
    AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:47 pm

I hear ya on the bullets JD and I do keep some of those primative weapons on hand along with some common items that can make more. study

I'd like to buy a .22 just for plinking.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:35 am