fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

+2
19674x4
hardtailjohn
6 posters

Barn move

hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Barn move Empty Barn move

Post by hardtailjohn Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:51 pm

Well......got the barn off it's resting spot today. Braces all over, hooked on with the 966 and away we went. So far, the only damage was done in the first 10' of travel. A cement block rolled and broke off the end of a "sistered" stringer, and took out a floor joist. This also bowed out the rear wall, but we shoved it all back together and put some more braces on. We made it about 1/5 of the way to the house today...up the steepest hill, and learned alot. Hopefully all will go smooth for the rest of the journey.
    Kate took some pics...I'll post later if she sends 'em to me....
    JH

19674x4
    19674x4

Barn move Empty Re: Barn move

Post by 19674x4 Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:24 pm

pics are a must
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:25 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! It made it!!! Took about 4 hours to go a bit over a mile, but that included a bunch of fence taking down, post pulling, some extra bracing, and a whole bunch of head scratching. (even a little bit of butt scratching too lol! )
    As promised, here's some pics.....and I'll try the video of us coming across the creek just below the house....
    JH

Barn move PA270022

Barn move PA270030

As you can see, there were a spot or two where it was a bit close....
    Barn move PA270046

hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:36 pm

As we came below the house, on the meadow..... the "cheering section" came over to watch.....

Barn move PA270054

Unhooked and did a bit of prep work where I wanted to cross the small creek...

Barn move PA270055

got as close as I could with it, to the creek, then unhooked, jumped the creek with the loader and lengthened out and yanked it across. Here, I've gotten the first pull across, and the stringer is just hanging over the bank.....and I'm trying to shorten up again for the second, and final pull...

Barn move PA270058
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:39 pm

OK...here goes a try on the video...
    The first one is when we first pulled on it...this is leaving the spot it's been sitting since the early 60's..

Barn move Th_Movingbuilding006

This one is coming across the creek in front of the house...

Barn move Th_PA270061
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:28 am

Whatcha going to put in it?
    crewcabfan
    crewcabfan

Post by crewcabfan Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:30 am

amazing.
    megamovers beware.
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

Post by spartman Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:41 am

Those vids were no fun at all.

Where is the wheel spinning, the sinking to the axles, the creaking and snapping of wood?

How can you say your a mover when it all goes good?

Barn move 301330
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:35 am

yeah buddy cheers
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:54 pm

spartman wrote:Those vids were no fun at all.

Where is the wheel spinning, the sinking to the axles, the creaking and snapping of wood?

How can you say your a mover when it all goes good?

Barn move 301330

Well...... the only damage done was done during the first 10' of the move. A cement block rolled up instead of sliding and caught a rock.....

Barn move Movingbuilding001

A gentle shove with the loader, and some more bracing, and we're back in business. The center stringer was too short, so they scabbed on a 4' chunk with a couple 2/6's...the block took the scabbed chunk out the back, wiping out a joist in the process.....but we're not concerned, as we'll cut the floor out, as it's going to be a barn anyway.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:22 pm

i love that building--the wood and the way it has weathered--it has character Very Happy
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:50 pm

Yah, I've never seen one built this way before. They used Larch 2x8's and 2x4's for board and bat, and stood them vertical. They're sitting on a Larch 2x8 lower sill plate, then a 2x2 on that, on the inside, with the vertical stuff nailed to it. On the top plate it's the same, but they laid a second 2x8 on it. I'll get some inside pics as we go. I think they used linseed oil on the wood when it was built... it's weathered to a fantastic finish, just like the cabin we live in. (which is built the same way, by the same 2 guys) These were originally summer cabins for a family from California. Lots of great memories in them! Those guys were into ANYTHING that made lots of noise....motorcycles, dynamite, guns (got a cannon they built), equipment......fun guys!!

JB, it's going to be the barn for the Clydesdales.. First baby is due by the first week of Feb, so gotta get this thing done asap! We'll cut the floor out, after we get it set and posts in the ground to anchor everything (Clydes scratch their butts and stuff moves!) so we get a bit more headroom from the beams that run across the cabin. There's a 8x12 room that used to be a bathroom, that's going to be feed and harness...should hold most of our work harness.....most of it. Rolling Eyes
    spartman
    spartman
    Admin

Post by spartman Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:59 am

Maybe I should have bought that for the chicken coop? LOL

I dont think mine is big enough.

I really like that cabin as well, I wouldnt mind living in that.
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:41 am

Thanks Steve, we like it. We've got the cabin fixed up like an efficiency apartment basically. There's a small room that we are using for feed and stuff, then the bathroom and a pantry, then the rest is one big room. Works for us, since it's just Kate and I (and Griz, the dog). We're not much on a big house anyway. The plan we have drawn up for a house (someday) is a "barndominium" with the barn and house all under one roof, on one level.... big barn and a little bitty house. haha

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:07 pm