fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

+2
willowbilly3
71ford100
6 posters

Corvair knowledge needed....

71ford100
    71ford100

Corvair knowledge needed.... Empty Corvair knowledge needed....

Post by 71ford100 Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:56 am

So I am getting ready to list a corvair on craigslist to try and come up with some money for a MM self propelled swather.....anyways it has no title and I don't have a clue where the vin is on the darn thing and I'm not sure what to ask for it since they are pretty worthless in my opinion.

I did find a tag in the engine bay but I think its just a body tag which I need decoded as well, the tag was laid out like this:

10B E
    ST: 66-10539 WRN 1556 Body
    TR 758 E-E Paint
    2M

It is a 110 monza, 4 dr, automatic. The interior doesn't look ripped up just dirty. The only rust thru I could find was a little bit on the drivers side cowl by the window.
    Corvair knowledge needed.... 008-1
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Corvair knowledge needed.... Empty Re: Corvair knowledge needed....

Post by willowbilly3 Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:43 am

Can't help much except it is probably one of the least desirable being a 4 door automatic. It is a pretty specialized following, as in not many people want them. They did have the handling problems straightened out in those last models and they handled like they were on rails but it was too late to save them from the bad press.
    AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:42 am

Ran a quick search and came up with this.

http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/list.php?1

Like everything else Squarevairs have a loyal following. I hope you can find a buyer who can use it. When I was in grade school my Dad and his buddies built a Corvair bodied modified stock car based on a 50's era Ford pickup frame. It was a 4 door hardtop and the driver sat in what had been the rear seat area. An early 292 Chebby truck six sat with the 3 rear cylinders inside the car. Punched out with a trick head, something like 13 to 1 compression and burning a 50/50 mix of high test gas and benzine it would bend the needle out of an 8000 rpm mechanical tach. Car was light, quick and ate V8's on the 1/4 mile dirt ovals of the day. Turned out it was too light when the driver got hurt in a wreck. The next season they built an Impala bodied late model. Fukker was a tank.

BTW, 40+ years after that car was cut up for scrap my Dad still has a Stewart Warner mechanical tach on the mantle in the game room. Needle is jammed past the 8000 rpm peg. Laughing
    CJ,s 67 F100
    CJ,s 67 F100

Post by CJ,s 67 F100 Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:06 am

We had a Cab over pickup on the ranch I worked on as a kid. It seemed to go anyplace you wanted to go. Mud, deep sand it would just go through it. Maybe some one would want it for the engine or parts. good luck
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:58 pm

http://www.corvair.org/csaindex.php

we had a greenbriar van--Dad would put the coals from the fireplace on a cookie sheet in the winter about 1/2 before trying to bust 'er off

ps--wish i had some mad money--i like those cars
    hardtailjohn
    hardtailjohn

Post by hardtailjohn Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:12 pm

We had a Greenbriar van too... Dad used it for the Marion School Bus for years!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 9:08 am