fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
fff&pigpokers&insomniacs

4 posters

Pickin

willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Pickin Empty Pickin

Post by willowbilly3 Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:15 am

Pretty good day yesterday. I pulled all the copper from a couple dilapidated trailer houses. About 2 hours work and got 35# of tubing and probably 100# of wire, I still have to burn it off. At $250 a pound for #1, that ain't a bad mornings work. I think I have 40 pounds or so already and maybe more tomorrow. 200' of welding lead coming on local auction. If I can buy it cheap, it will go in the fire too, and that set of jumper cables that has been pissing me off.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Pickin Empty Re: Pickin

Post by Admin Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:39 am

down here they will not take any thing that's been burned off
    AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:36 pm

JD they're just too picky. Saw a guy with 3400 lbs of burned stuff on an F350 dump. Raised a few eyebrows at the scrap yard. Turns out he's a demolition contactor. All ligit. He even had copies of demo contracts to prove where it came from.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:45 pm

i agree--i haven't been to any others because they are all a pretty fur piece from the house---so i can't say how wide spread that policy is
    AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:53 pm

Scrap outfits around here have Barney beating on the door pretty regularly so I can't blame them for being anal at times. Dopers swipe the shit constantly then rat out the yards for recieving so the judge goes easy on them. Dopers ain't got a fuckin thing so the scrap outfits gotta pay up or get a visit from Andy.
    willowbilly3
    willowbilly3

Post by willowbilly3 Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:47 am

They have to take a copy of your ID to buy copper from you. One time back in the 70s, a friend and I took down some old telegraph wire on a logging sale. He took it in and a couple days later the FBI was knocking at his door. It seems someone had climbed poles and stole about a mile of telephone wire and they were investigating. We had to take them out to the woods and show them where we got the wire.
    AlleyCat
    AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:37 am

They do the id bit here for all bright metals and cars/trucks. Now the titles have to be notarized. Makes a problem for the guys on disability who are junking for extra coins. Most of these clowns run old wreckers registered as pickups. They buy cars and drag them to the crusher. With the new regs they have to wait a few weeks until the title clears before they can junk them. They really can't do anything about it but whine. Kind of like a dope dealer who gets robbed.
    71ford100
    71ford100

Post by 71ford100 Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:15 pm

The place I normally take has a scan of your drivers license (and I'm so cool I get a plastic card they just scan and everything pops up)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content